Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Careers Suck

Hmm, yeah, hey.

Funny that since I can hardly call myself a blogger these days that Richard Hugo House has asked me to teach a blogging class this summer.

This is very cool because I've been wanting to dip my toes (back into) teaching for a while now and it's nice that that I didn't have to do a damn thing to get the job. Although now I actually gotta come up with something to *teach* but I can put that off for a while.

The thing is, though I desperately need a career change, I am rather lacking in energy to make it all happen. I am, in fact, seeing a career counselor, who is quite helpful but she actually wants me to do *work*. Like you know, go out and research stuff. Talk to people. Figure out how to make my dreams a reality, yadda yadda.

Hello! All I feel like doing is sleeping, eating, reading, and skiing. Oh yeah, and taking piano lessons and a writing class and making out with that cute new boy and trying to stay on top of the mess in my house, and you know, all that stuff.

But here's what's got to happen. Eventually. Me less in corporate world more in arts world. Me no 9-5 job anymore. Me write teach travel for living. Me no more technical editor. Me hope write other novel but me can do depend on that.

Speaking of the no 9-5 thing, my fabulous writer friend Michelle has just published a book about how to get out of the 9-5 grind. She also has a really helpful, career-oriented blog.I haven't read her book yet but I plan to very soon and I'm sure it's good!

Now I'm going to eat chocolate cake and put off doing stuff about my career. So there.

P.S. I blogged at my author site last week.

3 comments:

Shel said...

hey rebecca! happy valentine's day (or what is left of it).

if you are going to do the blogging class, i suggest this great book, entitled "no one cares what you had for lunch". it has 100 ideas for blog entries. you can find it on amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/One-Cares-What-You-Lunch/dp/032144972X

Anonymous said...

hey r, awww, thanks. fwiw, i don't think you need to pay for a career coach. you can do all the research, butt-kicking yourself. there are checklists in my book and everything. ;) very cool about the RHH class. you go!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

woot! thanks for the recomendation, just ordered Michelle's book.