Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Kickin' It with My Dolphin Pals

Well, all, yours truly is Unemployed. For the first time in six years. What am I doing with myself you might ask, besides applying for unemployment and anxiously eyeing my savings account which is not nearly so plump as it was back in the full-time Geeksoft days?

Spending money, naturally! On kayaks, hair, housecleaners, yuppie vacations – all those things upon which an unemployed person should really be spending money.



Getting ready to teach my blogging class, applying for this program, writing articles for this magazine, preparing to volunteer here, and generally trying to structure life out of one that has absolutely no structure. You know, pretending I’m the wife of some rich high-tech executive instead of a single unemployed and on-the-verge-of-being-broke writer. Occasionally I kick it with my dolphin pals, too.




Aw, heck, that was a few years ago, I just wanted to post that picture.

A year ago I was slaving away in the offices of Insert Giant E-Tailer here, watched like a hawk, every moment of my day accounted for. Now I float around Seattle in the sunshine, getting my work done here, going for a workout there, sleeping late almost every day. (Remember when I used to go to bed at TEN and get up at SIX-THRITY ha ha ha!) It sounds idyllic but like anything else it has its drawbacks.

I miss people, for one. Coworkers to talk to. I didn’t even have that in my last Geeksoft gig. My teammates sat in a different building and I came in and out of that contract like a ghost. Hardly anyone knew I was there to begin with and even fewer knew it when I left. I miss having a well-defined purpose, a place I have to be. (Even if I’m not all that excited about a given purpose, it’s nice to have one).

But now that I & Le Petit Ami are the proud owners of a kayak, we spend our evenings gliding around on Lake Washington, waving at the rich Mercer Island residents hanging out on their yachts, and picnicking on piers at sunset.

That helps, a little bit.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

I've always wanted to go kayaking! It looks like so much fun.

I'm also currently unemployed, and it definitely has its pros and cons. Pro: sleeping late! Con: no income. I've had interview after interview, but nothing concrete yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though.

Anyway, It's hard to believe that it's been a year since I first read your book! I think it's about time for a re-read. ;)

Happy 4th of July! :D

- Lindsey

Anonymous said...

Hello! My girlfriend just bought your novel 'Breakup Babe' yesterday in a place called 'Lane's' in Liverpool, Nova Scotia. She's already almost finished. She just can't seem to put it down. I'm actually going to read it after her. She's told me some bits and pieces of it, and it is very very witty, as well as humorous. :) I hope that everything goes well for you with what the future may bring into your life.

What a very.... odd sentence that was. Oh well! I might start to ramble so I'll end it here.

Take care,

Donatello

Rebecca said...

Donatello,
Thanks for letting me know my book has made it's way to Scotland and glad your girlfriend is enjoying it! And Lindsey - I hear you - sleeping in, great, no income, not-so-great.