Monday, October 29, 2007

Stop Quotation Mark Abuse!

Well I partially solved the winter wardrobe problem by spending my entire savings account at Benneton the other day for the purchase of four sweaters and a winter coat.

Now at least I have the basics.

I didn't even really know Benneton was still around. I do recall shopping there when I was about 12, thinking the sweaters were beautiful, and very-well folded, and exorbitantly expensive. I remember them costing about $200 apiece but this can't be right since they now go for about $40. Perhaps it just seemed that way because back then I only got a dollar a week allowance.

I also remember going on some rant about Benneton ads back in a graduate school class - oh yes - when they were featuring people who were HIV-positive in their ads. I don't remember what I said exactly, although I probably used the word "otherness" a lot because that's a word they like to use in grad school. No doubt it wasn't nearly as entertaining as the oral report (ahem) that I gave on sex toys, pontificating on the sociocultural implications of vibrating dildos as I waved one around in front of the class.

Those were the days.

So back to me. I want to direct to you to a blog after my own heart -- The “Blog” of “Unnecessary” Quotation Marks . Those of you who've been privileged to ride up the elevator in my condo with me know that one of my favorite pastimes is dissecting the grammatical errors in the flyers created by the condo board, which are often full of unnecessary quotes. They are fond, for example, of using the phrase "We are sorry for the inconvenience." So clearly they are not sorry at all, not for the inconvenience, and not for perpetrating ghastly punctuation on those imprisoned in the slow (and might I add, dangerous elevator).

Perhaps, like Lynn Truss, the author of the very entertaining Eats, Shoots & Leaves dreams of doing, I should create stickers to post on offending material. "Stop quotation mark abuse!" or some such thing.

Or maybe I should just get a life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

! ! ! ! !! !!!! !!!!

so there. I am an abuser now..... Actually while I started blogging a few months ago I find I abuse this .... and this... .... etc... cause I love long winding roads and so my sentences are long winding roads.... ! ! ! ! ! !! !

Anonymous said...

I believe your memory serves you correctly. Benneton did once charge outrageous prices for their clothes.

Now that you've brought it to my attention that this is no longer the case, I must go there. Where is it exactly? Because, also like you, I didn't even realize they were still around.

Am smiling now bout how your condo board sounds as lame as mine is. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only grammar nazi here in Seattle. My jokes/observations on the subject are usually met with an uncomfortable silence. I guess it takes a special kind of person to appreciate the difference between a colon and a semicolon.

Anonymous said...

I just read your novel. Such a fun read! My favorite part was where you talked about wedding showers. I cracked up. I have always hated wedding showers and now you put it in perfect wording for me!