Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Money. Ha. Who Needs It?

Greetings from unemploymentland! Since my paychecks are still coming in from my last job, I'm in denial -- doing all sorts of things that are fun and enriching and which earn me no money whatsoever! For example:

Working on my Nanowrimo novel. Oh maybe someday in a perfect world this will earn me some money. But for now, it's a great way to avoid doing... -

Freelance work. Oh yes, this is the one thing I'm doing that is paying me. So of course I avoid it like the plague. The job involves writing marketing copy for GUESS-WHICH-GIANT-SOFTWARE-COMPANY? Yes, that's right, Hotel Californiasoft!

Tutoring at 826Seattle. Get this. Last week I actually tutored in math. Ha ha ha! Like the charming, rambunctious child I tutored I was also counting on my fingers. Luckily it was only addition.

More volunteering. I'm about to start working for a literacy organization called Page Ahead wherein I will read stories to small children, sing songs, and do crafts. Now if I could only get paid $80 bucks and hour for that gig, I could check out of Hotel California AND leave.

Playing with my band. We earned a six whole bucks apiece the other night at our first gig at *Jimmy Z's* in *Everett*, during which I only horribly messed up two songs and wore a very cute sexy new dress that made up for my lack of ability to actually play keyboards.

Going to the gym. I've developed a taste for exercise classes lately wherein loud music is cranked, we dance around with barbells, and buff teachers wearing headsets yell out "work your butt, warm it up!"

Claiming unemployment. This is marginally profitable but lemme tell you, it ain't gonna pay the mortgage.

xo,
Rebecca

4 comments:

Gwen said...

I'm unemployed right now, too :S I know what you mean about the security you feel when the last paychecks are still coming in. But my last one already arrived!

Skeeter said...

I hope you find something that challenges and rewards you. Your interests are really varied. Thanks for your volunteer work. It's a great feeling to be able to help others. I keep working toward achieving that level of quality service to the community, but it's difficult. I'm a federal civil service "worker" :-)

teahouse said...

Hey, sounds like you're keeping yourself busy! Right now my job is so horrific, I long for the blissful freedom of unemployment...

Anonymous said...

The life of a writer seems an up hill battle... wishing you much success!