Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Take This Job and Shove It II

Is it any wonder I'm having trouble going back to the cubicle? After a winter spent playing outdoors in the glorious Cascade Mountains?

In a fit of rebellion, I turned down a job at Hotel Californiasoft the other day after somehow managing to convince a group of four very serious techies that I was passionate about developer documentation and would do a bang-up job if they hired me. (Give the girl an Oscar!)

Only they wouldn't let me work from home at all. Hello? Excuse me? I don't DO the east side for work anymore. I don't DO cubicles anymore. Got that, MAN? You can take your cushy, million-an-hour, so-boring-I-want-to-kill-myself job and give it to some poor sucker who actually wants to make a living!

I do...uh...volunteering for good causes where I don't get paid any money but I get to ski! And read stories to kindergarten classes! And drinking expensive lattes around town as my savings account dwindles!

So THERE.

5 comments:

Maya said...

I SO want your life. The Man sucks!

BTW, I read your book while on vacation and loved it. It was the perfect thing to read on the plane. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I really think you are funny, enjoy your blog, and really enjoyed your book - in fact want to buy another as I lent mine out and never got it back. However I have to say I am a little turned off by the fact that you blithely turn down jobs that others would probably kill to have. Meanwhile you just do whatever you want for fun while collecting unemployment that other hardworking people are paying for. It just rubs me the wrong way. Nobody likes working. I have worked in a cubicle for the past 10 years. It isn't like I love it but I do it to earn money to live on. I can't imagine collecting unemployment from other working people's tax dollars while turning down jobs just so I can flit around like I was 16 years old.
I think it may be time to grow up.

Rebecca said...

Dear anonymous,
Thanks for your comment. If I seem "blithe" about my job situation - it's really just a cover for how scared I feel trying to make a transition from doing work I don't really care about to doing something I enjoy. I don't mean to mock people who work in cubicles - I've done it for a long, long time (and paid a lot of money in taxes!) Just ask someone who knows me well and you will find out how much I am stressing about 1)money 2)health insurance 3)retirement plans, etc. My blitheness is just bluster. I don't know what the hell I'm doing and I wonder if it's the right thing to turn down great jobs that "other people would kill for." But I'm just following my instincts for the moment, wrong or right. But, as has happened so many times with Breakup Babe, my false bravado comes off as arrogance :-)
-Rebeccca

Anonymous said...

Dear Rebecca,

You didn't come off as arrogant at all. Your fear was there right under the surface but you turned down the job anyway. Because you know what you want! (Or at least what you don't want)

That's how I found my last job anyway. I said I wanted a part-time job within walking distance of my house working for an organization whose mission I believed in. And poof! A week later someone called me from such a place and offered me a job.

You will get what you want. I believe saying No to things you don't want is the only way to get what you do want. Meanwhile, enjoy your unemployment, your lattes, skiing and reading and writing of books.

Unknown said...

Are those my sunglasses that went missing?