Monday, April 20, 2009

Sandal Season!

Last week I got my first pedicure in ages and just in time -- it's sandal season! Well, almost. Just because we are having a few sunny days here in Seattle doesn't mean that it's not going back to rainy cold nastiness. It undoubtedly will.

But I did actually take my sandals out of "winter storage" for the first time to show off my sparkly pink toes to the world. They were previously hideous due to a variety of deformities and broken toenails caused by ski boots and God knows what else. I could never quite achieve Inner Peace in Yoga class because I was always looking enviously at everyone else's toenails, hoping they weren't looking at mine.

In other news, I am sort-of-frantically preparing for my upcoming trip to Finland. I now have total of three couches to sleep, on due to my active membership in Couchsurfing.com: the generous Hilkka, Caizu, and Thomas. Why I've gotten so into it that Dave and I are even offering ourselves up as hosts now! (As long as our guests don't mind a lot of dog hair and few screaming fights with household cleaning products flying through the air.* )

And back to sandals...I have not yet decided whether to bring a pair to Finland with me, where the weather is promising to be 50 degrees and sort-of-actually-sunny. If I do, should I bring my "dressy" sandals so as to show off aforementioned sparkly pink toes, or my "sport" sandals to bring with my on my mini bike tour through the Aland Islands?

It will be one of those tough, last-minute calls. I am especially fond of the new Tevas I bought last year, the Karnali Wraptors (which they claim shows off your pedicure but most decidedly do not!) As usual I bought quickly with no previous research, for my trip to Alaska.

Had I actually been researching, I might have watched this video about Keen sandals from my pal Webtogs, who have a series of helpful videos about outdoor gear on YouTube. Since I will shortly be in the market for new hiking boots, I'm hoping they'll have a video about that soon. I imagine they will since they offer a lot of walking boots on their site.

So, back to vacation. If I don't chat with you again before my departure on April 24, perhaps we will speak again from the frozen north (even more frozen than Seattle).

[*OK, household products only flew through the air once, when we were in the midst of moving, when one can totally justify having a mini-nervous breakdown.]

3 comments:

wanderwoman said...

Okay I'm a little late to post my sandal vote, but I hope you took your 'dressy' sandals. I'm pretty sure it won't be nice enough to trek in your tevas, so just wear the dressy ones for evenings out.

Also, I can so relate to your 'yoga toes.' I just cannot focus on my yoga practice if I'm distracted by my scruffy pedicure. My friends think I'm insane.

Matt said...

i love couchsurfing, but i'm always a bit lazy with inviting people over to my house! and plus, i'm hardly ever at home when i'm not travelling so it would've been hard to schedule some surfing of my own couch :)

yup, the sandal season is already on, i wonder if i should get my feet pampered up a bit... haha, no!

Matt said...

I love couchsurfing, but I haven't hosted any guests over at my place yet. I'm usually travelling too much and I'm hardly ever home! But I know that hosting guests would also give more credibility for me on the website and provide me with better couches around the world! Have a great time in Finland!