Thursday, January 18, 2007

We Are All Bucketheads Sometimes

Since I broke up with Breakup Babe, I seem to be having an identity crisis. Dating is what I write about best, and Lord knows I'm still doing it (dating, that is), so what do I write about now? And how do I get back to a place where I can write about it safely?

I. DON'T. KNOW.

That's why I'm going to see a career counselor. Dear career counselor, I will say, I love more than anything to write about my dating adventures, but the problem is, I can't do it anymore without digging myself a deep pit and you know, why did they never deal with THIS on Sex and the City?!

I have lots of other things to ask this career counselor too like how do I escape the corporate world and teach, travel, create (more), feel that my life is not slowly ebbing away in an office tower, office park, sterile office with no windows.

Oh I know she won't answer these questions. I just need some help focusing on my goals. I have so many. For I am the typical jack of all trades, master of none.

One thing I can do, sometimes, is write.

But I am lost in the woods with my current writing project. It is a long way out and who knows if I have enough stamina to make it. The weather is good, my pack is full of food, and my compass has worked in the past. But sometimes it is scary to be so alone with so much distance to travel.

Oh. And if you are in a crappy mood, watch this video of my niece walking around with a bucket on her head. You can see that brains and talent run in the family. When we were little, my sister and I created a musical called "Hamperhead, which featured us wearing (what else?) laundry hampers on our head. Too bad You Tube hadn't been invented back then.



xo
Rebecca

4 comments:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

My daughter and I cracked up over the buckethead videos! Is your neice a twin? Who's the other baby buckethead?

Anonymous said...

Oh, you and me both, kid. Since moving from Odious Woman to a blog with my real (sort of) name on it, I can barely write a word.

Let me know what the career counselor says. Yeesh.

- Brooke

Anonymous said...

Those videos were hysterical, thanks for the laugh! I definitely feel like a Buckethead sometimes!

Anonymous said...

The urge to break free of Megacompuglobalcorp eludes all of us geeks. I'm heading back next week myself. With each respite from MCGC, we do step further up and away from it's now omnipresent teet. During our breaks we make contacts on the "outside". We further our personal endeavors. We rinse and repeat, each time clawing a little closer to "freedom". When we do break free, we find something really fun to do, that costs money of course, thus a return to MCGC, make that money, then go have that fun.

Cursed are the dual-minded types today. Or are we? Maybe we are the blessed in that we get to taste both worlds and never have any real deep fears.